Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. These can be a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile…whatever you need to get an image in your mind. 5 is just a minimum…more elements are encouraged!
1. Eldaran is an eladrin who, from his infancy, has been raised within the elven city of Estelathrad. To the best of his knowledge, he was brought to elven guards by centaur who claimed they found the child wrapped in fine linen swaddles just outside of their village.
2. Living his life as an outsider who was lovingly brought in and regarded as family, Eldaran has a fierce love of elven people. It was those same people who trained him in the art of the swordmage.
3. His unique talents and commitment to his craft earned the notice of Lord Gellavan who honored the young eladrin with military honors. In return, Eldaran surprised the entire court when he stepped outside of the normal ceremonial rite, and expressed his gratefulness to Lord Gellavan for the mercy his people had shown him. Eldaran swore by the blood in his veins that he would do anything Lord Gellavan desired as a way of demonstrating his loyalty and appreciation. Lord Gellavan surprised, and even angered some, when he responded with a simple request: defend my daughter Pia at any cost. From that day forward, Eldaran lived in the high noble’s estate was a constant presence far more often seen than heard.
4. Eldaran is tall and very lean, with ice blue eyes and pale golden hair that reaches the bottom of his shoulder blades. His leather armor is concealed under the robe that his mentor gave to him. His robe is vibrant shades of red, green, and gold. See the image on the first page for a visual of the robe.
5. Eldaran is less detached from the world than most of eladrin kin, simply because the only glimpses he has of the Feywild are the ones he gathered in the blinks of time while teleporting. His mind works tirelessly while resting in his meditative state to piece these memories together into more than a collection of experiences that seem little more than distant dreams.
Step 2: List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character has, while another should be one that you, as a player, want to see developed over the course of the game.
1. Eldaran has grown to love the beautiful elf that he has vowed to protect. At all times, he is aware of where she is and seeks to protect her.
2. Eldaran wants to solve the mystery of his life. Why was he abandoned or left for the centaur to find him? Who are his biological parents? Where is he from?
3. He wants to experience the Feywild.
Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center on your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!
1. (Eldaran is aware of this secret) TODO
2. (Eldaran is not aware of this secret) The story of his origin that he was told were lies. These lies were started by Lord Gallavan himself, and were believed by everyone. Only Lord Gallavan himself knows that the story of how Eldaran came to Estelathrad is a lie. Perhaps Lord Gallavan believed something about this child: to ensure he was brought to Estelathrad, to see him trained in the art of a swordmage, and to place him as the personal defense of his beloved daughter?
Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.
1. The man who taught him in all the ways of the swordmage. I’m thinking a half elf, and he is significantly older (early middle aged). I wanted to stay away from his mentor being eladrin to keep with the theme of being an outsider.
2. His adopted brother, the natural born son of the family that raised him. Their sibling rivalry rose to a silent hatred as he grew more and more jealous of the success Eldaran enjoyed. Eldaran always envied his brothers natural family and known lineage so much so that Eldaran would have gladly switched places with him.
3. Any biological family member of Eldaran. Perhaps they have heard rumors that he is alive, and are seeking to find their loved one. Perhaps they have heard rumors that he is alive, and are seeking to ensure that the secrets of his past are buried with him.
Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. They don’t have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.
Eldaran is fascinated with the art of life: beauty, intricacy, chance, logic, and sport. He is a student of war and debate, with a tireless curiosity to understand how things come together. He takes very few things personally (Pia, the Elven people, his unknown heritage). Violent conflict and heated debate will more likely draw his fascination than fury.