Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. These can be a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile…whatever you need to get an image in your mind. 5 is just a minimum…more elements are encouraged!
1) Pia is the only daughter of the Elven king, Gellevan. She and her father do not get along. Pia views her father as being very pompous. In her eyes, he is someone who likes to boast about how wonderful he is but never offers a kind word to her. He has left her upbringing to her mother, but expects her to jump and run whenever he beckons her. Pia knows that he views her as a bargaining chip, which infuriates her. Pia doesn’t trust her father…she never has. In her heart of hearts, she knows that he is the reason the kingdom is suffering. She also knows that this suffering is the reason that her father wants to marry her off to another Elven kingdom.
2) Much to her dismay, Pia is very high strung like her father. She speaks her mind freely. There is never any doubt what Princess Pia is thinking. Most people would describe her as being a spitfire.
3) Pia insisted on being trained as a ranger as a means of dealing with the frustrations she has over how her father has treated her. Her archery is the only means Pia has of dealing with her emotions.
4) Pia has one younger brother, Calanon. Although she is the eldest child, Calanon was always her father’s favorite because he is heir to the throne. Pia loves her brother. Besides her mother, Calanon is the only person that Pia would be willing to die for. Leaving him behind was the hardest thing she’s ever done. When Pia left home, the only thing of personal value that she took with her was a necklace that brother gave her and a ring from her mother.
5) Pia very much resents the fact that her father made an Eladrin swear an oath to protect her. Pia would always watch Eldaran from afar, fascinated by his background and the fact that he was always surrounded by mystery. But, the fact that he seems to “think” she needs protecting makes her blood boil. Pia doesn’t want anyone to protect her or treat her like a weakling.
6) Pia is graceful and agile. Her hair is the fiery red, like the setting sun. Her eyes are a glimmering emerald green. On her back is a tribal tattoo of a stargazer lily. She was given this tattoo when she reached adulthood. It symbolizes the meaning of her name, which is “pious” or “spiritual one.” On the back of her neck, in Elven, is a tattoo of her family’s motto that reads “God has favored.”
Step 2: List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character has, while another should be one that you, as a player, want to see developed over the course of the game.
1) Pia wants to create a “better” life for herself than the one that her father gave her. She wants to provide a better life for her people than the one her father gave them. She wants the kingdom she loves to grow and prosper again, not wither because her father is a selfish, self-centered ruler. Ultimately, Pia would like to see her father overthrown.
2) To Do
Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!
1) Pia is meant to take over her father’s kingdom one day. (This is the secret that I don’t know.)
2) Pia’s father is an Elven lord. The only people that know this are Pia and Eldaran. Pia doesn’t want the other members of the party knowing this because 1) she is afraid that she’ll be treated differently by them, 2) she knows that her father will come looking for her and doesn’t want the people she’s around to get in trouble with her father, and 3) she is trying to find people who share the same ideas as her and want to see her father overthrown.
Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.
1) Pia’s mother is a quiet, sweet spirit who loves her children and tolerates their father. Unknown to Pia, her mother intervened on her behalf numerous times. The only thing Pia’s mother has ever wanted is for her to be happy.
2) Erurainon is the elf my father wants to marry me off to. He’s been nothing but kind to me. The only thing I have against him is that my father is using me as a bargaining chip to connect our two kingdoms. My father views him as being weak, but I think there is more to him than my father realizes.
3) Pia’s father—-see description from above…he can be my nemesis!
Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. They don’t have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.
1) When Pia gets angry/frustrated/ticked off/etc she puts her hands on her hips and stamps her foot to get her point across. When she is speaking her mind, she sticks her pointer finger in the direction of whoever she’s firing at.
2) All of Pia’s favorite memories involve her brother and mother. The three of them would take trips into the country without her father. It was those times when they were truly happy and truly at peace.
3) To Do